An important message for Rotarians
This project differs from many other eye-related projects as follows:-
- We have succeeded in inspiring the recipient community Rotary Clubs to work to resolve their own problems, and they are now convinced that they can do it with only a little help from donor countries.
- We have motivated the recipient Rotary Clubs to donate many thousands of dollars each year to address the problems on their own doorsteps. They have paid the full cost of land and building for five Rotary hospitals together with one-third of the cost of equipment. These are now self-sustaining; profits from private patients are now funding FREE operations for poor patients. The success of these Rotary projects has prompted other hospitals and Non-Governmental Organisations to work with Rotary.
- We have twice used the Rotary Group Study Exchange (GSE) scheme to train ten eye surgeons from the recipient community here in UK; they are serving their own community as also training others to deliver better quality, thus perpetuating the benefit of GSE.
- We have combined GSE with matching grant from the Rotary Foundation to equip five Rotary hospitals; this unique combination has enthused many more local surgeons to give up their time and energy to serve their own community under the Rotary umbrella. Two of these GSE team members are now Rotarians themselves.
- Donor clubs in the west are paying only one-third of the cost of equipment and operations, thus getting treble the value for their money. Any Rotary Club can now sponsor 100 operations for £500; The Bargain of the Century!!
Donor countries must never try to solve other countries' problems without engaging the local community; Rotary Leadership should motivate, inspire and guide them along the right path.